Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Interview With...A Beard.

So a wonderful lady whom I respect and adore, Natalie Slater (creator of the coolest baking blog, Bake & Destroy), has a thing for beards. I too, enjoy a good beard. The only difference between our beard love may be that I prefer my beards a little rock & rollier and a little dirter...think Zakk Wylde or Shooter Jennings. Natalie has taken her love for beards to the next level by creating a beard Facebook fan page: Beards We Want to Make Out With.

I submitted a picture of one of my favorite beards, and that beard belongs to Brit Turner from Blackberry Smoke. Brit and his beard were kind enough to take some time out of their very busy schedules to answer a few questions, and Natalie was kind enough to post those questions on the Beards We Want to Make Out With Facebook page. Go read it!!!!! Or if you're too lazy or don't have a Facebook account (who the hell doesn't have a Facebook account?), then the interview is below.


1. How long have you and your beard been together?
10 to 12 Years

2. What/who inspired you to grow a beard?
At first it was depression I believe. Then I realized how easy it was to not shave.

3. At one point or another, everyone in your band, Blackberry Smoke, has had a beard. Is facial hair a requirement to be in your band?
No, they just realized how good I looked and how much attention and approval I got with a beard.

4. Is all of that facial hair the key to your band's musical success?
It is only a minor part of the band's success. The rest is probably my drumming.

5. How is your beard dealing with this recent success?
Pretty good. Sometimes I call Santa Claus if I have any questions like that.

5. Does your beard get lonely when the other guys in the band shave their beards?
No, it gets STRONGER. Very good question.

6. You've toured with a couple of the most famous beards in music, ZZ Top. What was it like to have so much beardiness in one room?
Well, I'll tell you it was great because usually when like minded people pass in a room, they give each other the "bro nod." When beards pass in a room... there is a little man that appears in the oldest person's beard and he gives a quick thumbs up...then disappears! It is fantastic.

7. Are there any beards that you would like to work with but haven't yet?
Rick Rubin & Kimbo Slice

8. On Twitter, @DrukenMartina tweeted, "Pretty sure one of those guys from Blackberry Smoke just tried to squeegee my window at a stoplight." Do you often get mistaken for a homeless man?
I read that and at no point thought she was referring to me. So....No.

9. Do you ever get beard envy?
I don't because I know how many cool things are hiding in my beard. A Swiss Army Knife of a beard, if you will.

10. How do you feel about your cousins, sideburns and mustache?
I RESPECT THEM! They take some time to prepare.

11. Do you have any grooming techniques you'd like to share with us?
Plenty of water and sunlight.

12. Are there any beards you'd like to thank for your success?
Santa and Billy Gibbons.


Picture courtesy of http://www.blackberrysmoke.com/.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A fun interview to read! Cool stuff. This Blackberry Smoke band is damn Rockin' good too.

Stone

Anonymous said...

Love BBS - Brit Your beard is cool. Not a soup strainer. Blackberry Smoke kicks ass through and through!

Tyler said...

Hahahaha, I love beards, and that's guys beard is awesome.