Thursday, May 14, 2009

Black Water Rising

It's not very often that I even bother listening to any of the bands that request to be my "friend" on myspace. However, I decided to take a chance the other day since I'm doing my best to listen to and discover new, good rock & roll. With a name like Black Water Rising, I thought my chances were good for hearing something pretty decent. But before I made any commitment to being their friend, I had to give them a listen. A girl can't just walk into a relationship blind, can she? The moment the music loaded on their page, I was hooked. I spent the next half hour listening to as much from this band as I could and checking everything out. I knew I had to get my grubby, little hands on more info about this band. Lucky for me their drummer, Mike, was kind enough to answer a few questions for me.

This fierce foursome hails from Brooklyn, NY but from the sounds of their music, you'd think their stomping grounds were somewhere between hell and the dirtiest, toughest rock club you've ever been to, and I mean that in the best way possible. The guys all have a rich history of playing in bands but eventually came together two years ago when the singer, Rob, asked friend and drummer, Mike, if he would be interested in doing something new. Once Mike took a listen, he couldn't resist, "I was totally psyched to do it. We looked for a second guitar player and found Johnny who I knew from Stereomud and he brought in Oddie the bass player. The rest they say is 'history'."

If you're looking for radio rock, then you best move on and look somewhere else. These guys have a very distinct dirty, heavy rock and roll sound that can't be found anywhere in popular music. Although they didn't set out to stand out from the crowd, they ended up separating themselves from the pack in a good way. Their roots are in classic rock, which reflects in their sound and where they draw some of their inspiration from. Most of their lyrical inspiration “comes from the world around us including but not limited to politics, religion, art and war.”

This year, these gentlemen made their way to Austin, TX for South by Southwest. According to Mike, “It’s hectic and exhausting but exhilarating and awesome at the same time.” They played the High Times Doobie Awards in the afternoon and an industry showcase that night. Why the High Times Doobie Awards you ask? Because they won an award for Best Rock/Alternative Artist of course! Mike assures me that the “trophy,” which is a very snazzy bong, is displayed proudly in their studio “for inspiration” and has been “put to good use!”

There's a record deal on the horizon but the details are all very hush hush. Mike says that it "is a good fit for BWR and [they're] psyched to partner up with a company that gets what [they] do and really believes in this band." Along with that comes the release of their self-titled debut album, which should be released by late summer, and a tour. I'm not so sure I can wait that long. Seriously.

In the midst of SXSW, making an album, impressing record companies and playing shows, these guys found time to make a video. To the glee of this muscle car loving fan, the band incorporated an old Firebird into their video for Brother Go On. Set against the backdrop of some desolate woods, this video fits the band perfectly with a raw, gritty, bad ass feel that marries perfectly with their sound. The director, Noah Shulman, and the band conceived the idea and Shulman brought it to life and added the perfect finishing touch with the vintage effect.

I take my music very seriously, and although I usually spend my time ranting about things that piss me off, I really felt compelled to tell everyone I know about this band. The bottom line is this band kicks ass. Their sound and feel is more original and tough than anything out there. Black Water Rising is in your face, kick ass, genuine rock and roll. Check them out on myspace , request them on Octane on Sirius Satellite radio, and be sure to support these guys when their CD comes out and when they go out on the road.

A BIG thanks to Mike for helping this girl out!


Black Water Rising "Brother Go On"

1 comment:

Basschic said...

GOOD FIND!!!!
Got a little sick of myspace - but now I have to log back in to find more info on this band!!!
THANKS!!!