Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Dirty Deeds...Not So Cheap

Everyone has a list of bands that they must see in concert before they die. Most of the bands who are on my list I can't afford to go see, which is precisely why I haven't seen them. One of those bands is AC/DC.

When I heard that they were going on tour to support their new album, Black Ice, I was more than stoked. I knew tickets would probably be a little pricey, but I figured I could at least swing for the cheap seats. Then I went to Ticketmaster to find out how much it was going to break me: $89.95, and that doesn't even include all the surcharges.

Are you f-ing kidding me? Just one flat rate for all seats? Even the assholes in Metallica have the option to pay $55 for some shitty seats. Needless to say, I was stunned, pissed, and disappointed all rolled into one.
Look, I totally believe that AC/DC is completely worth every penny of $89.95, and perhaps even more. But the fact of the matter is, in these trying economic times, not everyone can afford to throw down $90+ to go to a concert. Yes, concerts are a luxury and not a necessity, but some of us work really hard and would like to spend one night listening to one of our favorite bands live in concert (and we deserve it too!). But if it's between a tank of gas and some groceries or AC/DC tickets, I'm unfortunately going to have to use my money for gas and groceries. I hate being a responsible adult!
I guess I'm just bitching because I can't afford to go, and I was really looking forward to seeing them live. I can bitch all I want because even if I had the money, it wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Tickets sold out in 15 minutes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't believe those prices either. Like you said, you can usually get a ticket for $50 if you don't mind the nosebleed seats. Some shows even have a $30 or $40 seat behind the stage. That gets to be a pretty pricey evening with the ticket, surcharges, parking, dinner, gas, etc. just for the 'privilege' of seeing a band you like. Plus there' no opener so you can't even justify that you're seeing a few bands for that price. I think we're all better off these days just buying live concert dvd's for $20.

HellOnHighHeels said...

Ha! Live concert DVD's. What a great idea! :)

Anonymous said...

price of getting old I'm afraid. Nobdy told those kids would eat so much, should of just got a ccouple of small ones.
Do they rip you off for the beer over there as well?

Unknown said...

To me $89.95 is cheap! An average Bon Jovi concert here is closer to $100 bucks for average seats! F-that. It's actually Ticketmasters fault. After you buy your $90 buck seat you'll pay a convenience fee, facility fee, and tax. Concerts are the biggest rip off going today. It's good to hear you're a responsible lady because there aren't many of them. You're doing the right thing! We should all booycott concerts for a while. Sorry but no band is worth $100 bucks to go see...unless it's the Paul, Ringo, and John and George coming out of their graves.

Hard Rock Hideout said...

Tickets are nucking futs for sure. At the prices for AC/DC aren't as bad as the Van Halen ticket prices.

I got tickets for the Columbus, Ohio show, and I am pretty stoked about it. AC/DC announced the Answer as the opening act, and that is going to be AWESOME!

Mrs Munster said...

That's one pricey ticket! I also hate being "responsible" adult. There have been few gigs that I've missed because priorities have changed. AC/DC is definitely one of the bands on my list to see. They just don't seem to be coming to England. Btw, if you haven't checked out yet a band called AIRBOURNE, I recommend it. They do have AC/DC sound, but at least some youngster care how rock 'n roll should sound.

Hard Rock Hideout said...

My tickets for the Columbus show were nosebleed tickets. My siteline of the stage was horrible. AC/DC was fantastic though. I have some footage which I will unleash at HRH at a later date.

Anonymous said...

Remember when a show was 15 bucks?