Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Charm City Devils in Columbus...Finally!

So...as you can see I've been quite the slacker on my blog. Sorry! Finally getting into the swing of things and learning how to juggle, life, work and mommy-hood. It took a while, but I'm trying my very best to get back into the blogging world.
And what better way to get back into the saddle of blogging than a good ol' fashioned rock and roll show? Note: The first blog back was going to be about stupid Axl Rose and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame debacle, but I was seriously so irritated and disappointed, that I couldn't even write anything worth while.

This last Sunday, I got my lazy ass out of my sweats and dragged my husband's friend, Mark, to see the Charm City Devils at the Basement. Hubby was watching the little man so I could go out for the night, so Mark volunteered to accompany me on this fine night of rocking. And rock we did.

Back in 2009, my buddy Rob from Hard Rock Hideout told me to check out Charm City Devils before we went to see them at Crue Fest that year (read my Crue Fest review here). I never got around to it but made it a point to check them out at the show. From that moment on, I was hooked. I know I've said it before, but it's not often that opening bands impress me. Charm City Devils blew me away. I've pretty much sweat them from that moment on.
We arrived at the venue and the doors weren't open yet, but we could hear sound check going down. As I was shivering my ass off waiting to go inside, I noticed how very small the crowd was. That, my friends, hurt my heart. There was little to no promotion for this show, as with most shows at this venue, so I don't know why I expected anything else. But if there was ever a band that deserved a huge crowd, it was this one, and I was so bummed it wasn't there for them.

Thankfully, the guys in Charm City Devils didn't let this hinder their performance. It was full throttle right from the beginning, and they certainly made the very best of the situation. They hit the stage with songs off their new album, Sins, including their single "Man of Constant Sorrow." And just like Rob told me I would, I loved the new songs. Sprinkled into their set were also songs from their first album, "Let's Rock N Roll" and a Black Keys cover.
The band was tight and sounded fantastic. John's voice was on point and his banter with the crowd was quite humorous. After the show, the guys hung out for autographs and pictures. As you can see, I didn't miss the opportunity to throw my arms around these dudes for a cheesy shot. And much to my surprise, Jason Heiser (drummer) actually remembered meeting me and my friend at Crue Fest. Talk about impressive.

That says a lot about the integrity of these guys. Not only do they put out some of the best rock and roll out there (better than 98% of the shit you hear on the radio currently), they also care about their fans. They're down to earth  even to their crazy, stalker fans (totally calling myself out here....). Even though there wasn't the crowd that they deserved at the show, they still gave it their all and performed like there were 30,000 people in front of them. I'm already planning a road trip to see them again this summer.

Bottom line: Charm City Devils work hard and they rock hard. And if they come to your town, you'd better get up off your ass and take all your friends to go see them. You never know when you're going to get a chance to see them live (I had to wait three years!), so don't miss the opportunity. And pick up their new album, Sins. You won't regret it. If you don't like it, I'll pay you back...with a punch in the mouth.

For another great review of this show and great live pictures, check out Rob's review at Hard Rock Hideout.



No comments: