Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Love That Pickle!


Can a pickle have more Facebook fans than Nickelback? The answer is a resounding yes.

As many may know, I am not a fan of Nickelback, so when I saw this pickle fan page, I immediately added myself to the list. I was proud to help this pickle out to reach its goal. Honestly, I didn't think it would be that difficult, and it wasn't. In just a couple of weeks, this pickle has surpassed Nickelback in fan status in Facebook land. At this time, the pickle has 1,492,405 fans. Nickelback....1,423,329.

But this pickle hasn't made it this far without some hurdles. First, Nickelback is actually misspelled on the Facebook page due to copyright laws. Second, some lame-o fake Chad Kroeger actually sent the fan page creator, Coral Ann, a message letting her know that her fan page would be removed in two weeks. Lucky for us, the page is still up.

What's very interesting is how much buzz this little fan page is creating. You know you've "made it" when Perez Hilton is gossiping about you. And this pickle even made it on Yahoo Entertainment.

What started out as a little joke has turned into a quite a phenomenon. Although Coral Anne fully admits that she bit this idea from a similar fan page, "Can this onion ring get more fans than Justin Bieber?", many other "Can this (insert ridiculous noun here) get more fans than (insert crappy band/singer name here)" fan pages have sprouted all over the place.

This whole situation makes me giggle. Coral Anne says the page is all in fun and she means no ill will towards the band. I think it speaks volumes that there are so many people who are willing to choose a pickle over Nickelback. Do I think this is a true representation of the general population? Probably not. But it's still funny.

2 comments:

Dee Burnett said...

this is freaking hysterical!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I jumped right on that Pickleback too...awesome.