Monday, November 2, 2009

Queensryche/Lita Ford - Newport Music Hall, Columbus, OH

When I was in middle school, I can remember my brother and I bugging the crap out of our parents to get us the Operation LiveCrime box set for Christmas. Lucky for us, Santa was good to us that Christmas. My brother actually got to see Queensryche live back in the day, but since I was younger and a girl, I never got the opportunity. So last week was finally my time to see Queensryche live. I can't tell you how excited I was to finally hear Operation Mindcrime live. I was almost giddy with anticipation!

We got to the venue as Queensryche started playing. The first thing that I noticed was Geoff Tate's voice. It is still incredible; he sounded fantastic. I wish I could have said the same for the sound in general, which was kinda crappy (but not the fault of the band). Then I got my grimy little hands on the set list (thanks Amy). I kept looking at it over and over and over again. I turned it over and looked on the back of the piece of paper and I still couldn't find it. There was a set for Rage for Order, American Soldier, and Empire...but I couldn't find Operation Mindcrime. That's because they weren't performing Operation Mindcrime! Pissed couldn't even begin to describe what I was feeling at that moment. How could they not perform Operation Mindcrime? Seriously? That just irritated me for the rest of the night.

I tried to enjoy the rest of the show, but it was hard. I know I shouldn't have let the lack of Operation Mindcrime piss me off so much, but it really did. Then a great moment happened that made me forget about that crap for just a few minutes: Geoff Tate's duet with his daughter on "Home Again." It was absolutely beautiful and heartfelt. He looked so enamored with her, and she looked like she was scared to death. She was cute and sounded great.

I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed the songs from American Soldier. Not sure what I was really expecting, but it sounded like the Queensryche I grew up loving. I'm glad they didn't stray from their standard sound on this new album.

Then it was time for Lita Ford. This transition was a bit awkward. It kind of threw me off when I found out she wasn't opening but instead doing a little set in the middle of Queensryche's set. She looked as hot as ever and sounded really good. Her hubby, Jim Gillette, came out and sang along to "Crave." It was so fun to watch the two of them interact with each other and grope each other non-stop. Then she performed "Patriotic SOB." Of course she ended her tiny set with "Close My Eyes Forever" with Geoff Tate filling in on Ozzy's part, and Geoff did a pretty fine job. And that was it for Lita, which I thought was pretty lame. She should have had way more time to perform. And I can't even lie...I was sad that she didn't play Kiss Me Deadly.


Queensryche ended their set with a few songs from Empire. Surely they didn't leave out "Silent Lucidity" but they did leave off "Jet City Woman" even though it was on their set list.


Needless to say, I was a little disappointed. I was heartbroken that Queensryche didn't play Operation Mindcrime. Sure, they sounded pretty good and Geoff still sounds amazing, but it wasn't enough to make up for them totally blowing off their best album. I think they should have had Lita open, cut a few songs from the American Soldier set and added songs from Operation Mindcrime. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: