Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Heather Luttrell

I first heard her voice on the Lynyrd Skynyrd cruise in 2008 and she floored me. She is by far one of the most talented, amazing female singers I've ever heard and she is completely underrated. I'm thankful I didn't see her on Rock Star INXS; that wasn't her true self and if you see her live today, you'd know it instantly.

Heather is venturing out to my town of Columbus, Ohio on July 10th & 11th to perform in a local bar, and she was kind enough to answer a few questions for me. And by the way, she is super sweet, kind and free spirited; there's no doubt you're going to have a good time when this sweet pea is around.

What were the early stages of your musical development like and how did your father and his music influence you?

Well, I was raised in a Bluegrass band called Possumtrot, so there was definitely a large influence from that. My Dad also makes resonator guitars so I grew up with him playing those which is a very distinct sound that in turn I try to work into all of my songs. I learned to harmonize when I worked at Dante’s Down the Hatch as a busser and server. My father and a few of my uncles (from Possumtrot) performed in the solo acoustic section of the restaurant and I would sing along with them as I worked and got better and better at it. Eventually that establishment would be my first gig! My mother raised me on all kinds of music. Joni Mitchell, Cat Stevens, the Beatles… all types of seventies music. One of my favorite things was to look through all my parents albums at the artwork… oh how I miss vinyl 78s!

What was Heathergrrrl and the Hungover like? What type of music? Anything similar to what you're playing now?

That was my first band. They were terribly talented and totally spoiled me as far as having a back up band. Sean Mcmorris on bass and Mike Roberts on drums. We drank way too much, thus the name. We were a little more rock back then than I am now. Funny thing is I just started working with my first drummer again, Mike Roberts, and he is now my drummer once again!

Who's currently in your band now?

Ralph Luttrell – Resonator Guitar aka Dobro
Walter Hinton – Mandolin, Violin, Viola
Charlie Wooton - Bass
Mike Roberts – Drums

What's it like to be in a band with your father?

It is amazing! We have a genetic harmony that cannot be duplicated. I know whatever I play he is going to completely bring it to another level with what he does. I never have to worry about my Dad because he is simply that good! We do great traveling together. It is so special to have the bond of music that we do! I am the luckiest daughter in the world!

What made you decide to do Rock Star INXS? Was it worth it and did you learn anything?

Um, it was more that I couldn’t believe they wanted me. I think I was one of the few musicians that had a clean background check. It really changed so much; I had to drop of out music for a while to make people forget that I was on it because it made me famous for something I don’t do! I am just now rebuilding. I did learn that music and television don’t mix very well, and what I thought I wanted…I didn’t. I now seek a level of fame that is more comfortable for me. I don’t necessarily want to be some HUGE star. I am just like every other American in that I just want to pay my bills, live humbly and reasonably well by doing what I love and am good at!

If you would have won, do you think it would have been right career move for you?
NO!!!!

Do you keep in contact with any of the contestants?


Yes I went out to visit Ty and Jordis last year in L.A. and I still talk to Suzie now and then. We became a strange little family. Branden and I did some shows together and Mig came to visit me down here in Atlanta.

What other people/muscians/things influence your music?

I am influenced by everthing, from the sound of a ceiling fan to a night out drinkin in a blues bar. I love sounds from nature and situations I tend to get myself into. Life is an amzing thing and you can always find something to draw from.

You've played on the Skynyrd Cruise and the Rock Boat. How did you get hooked up with these gigs? Is there one you prefer? And what do you like most about performing on the cruises?

Well they called me… it was right after Rock Star and might be the only good thing I ever got out of it! I am in love with the Skynyrd Cruise! It is something I look forward to all year long! I love the cruises because you get to be so personal with the fans, and the music is wonderful! Plus, it is a huge party on a boat full of music fans! What could be better! I also have performed on the Cayamo Singer-songwriter cruise.

Any new projects on the horizon?

Always. I am working on the new album, Possumdiva, which should be ready by January 2010!
I am working with some really talented people right now that are bringing out the best in me. And of course I am working hard on my paintings as well!
Work Work Work - that’s me!

Heather will be performing at the High Beck Tavern in Columbus, Ohio on July 10th & 11th from 9pm-11pm both nights. There's no cover! So come on out and come listen to Heather do what she does best! You most certainly won't be disappointed. For more information on Heather or to check out her music, go to http://www.heatherluttrell.com/ or www.myspace.com/heatherluttrell.

No comments: